6/3/10

The affects of "No Impact"

So in my previous post I mentioned that Josh and I recently watched the documentary "No Impact Man" in which a man and his family attempt to live for a year without impacting the environment. There were many things about this film that were eye opening and challenging to us both, especially convicting to me being the the constant use of my plastic bags (if you know me at all you know I can't live without my ziplocks!).
Surprisingly one of the things that impacted us most after watching this film actually had less to do with the environment and more to do with family. In an effort to not use electricity and spend more time together the "No Impact" family stopped watching tv for the entire year of their experiment. It was very eye opening and refreshing to see how much the couple and their 2 year old daughter grew closer to each other as a family and more aware of the world outside their living room after a year without tv.

SO...in an effort to remove one of the biggest distractions in our home keeping us from each other and the world outside our own living room we have decided as a family to stop watching tv for a full year. Ok, I know what you are thinking, we are crazy. Honestly, sometimes I think that myself. But hey, what can it hurt, right? At the end of the year we hope that we will be better people with a much richer life for having taken this challenge .
Why I am telling you all this? As a way to hold ourselves accountable! Our contract with Dish Network, although it has been great, will end at the end of August this year and we will not be renewing it. We will be on vacation most of the month of September so come October 1st our year of no tv will officially commence.
I will probably be cramming in my tv time up until that point but once it begins I hope to record our experience through our blog.
If you haven't seen this documentary yet you should check it out. You never know what you might find yourself challenged to change!

1 comment:

katie and matt said...

We have added this to our Netflix cue! I have suggested many times giving up TV for a period of time... but as long as Matt works in film and TV, not sure it will ever happen. I am also trying to lower my plastic baggie and cellophane usage.