12/8/12

Christmas Countdown: Days 4-8

Day 4: Unwrap a New Christmas book
We are enjoying growing our Christmas book collection and both of these were a great addition!
Day 5: Random Acts of Kindness: Take treats and Thank you note to Dr. Godfrey
We love our pediatrician and he has done SO much for us this year. We thought this would be a great way to show our appreciation to him for how he serves our family. Sophi helped me make the muffins and write him a sweet card.
We also decided on this day to leave a surprise note on daddy's door at work telling him how much we love him (since it was on the way to the Dr.). Sophi had so much fun being sneaky! The secretary's at Daddy's office always give Sophi candy whenever we visit so she thought it would be a good idea to give them candy canes too!
Through out the week Mary and Joseph have been making their journey to Bethlehem and getting into a bit of trouble along the way:
 I put baby Jesus from Sophi's nativity away until Christmas day so we can anxiously anticipate his arrival. I love that I found Mary and Joseph like this one day, obviously Sophi thinks they need jesus now!

Day 6: RAK - Give treats to the Trash-man and Mailman
In our pursuit to give to others I wanted to remember those who do things for our family on a daily basis who can so easily be overlooked.  Sophi had fun making them notes and taping them to the trash can and mailbox. It was fun to come home after school and find the treats gone, hoping they brought a smile to these each of these men on this dreary day!
Day 7: Slumber Party under the Christmas Tree
Sophi got to open up a new Christmas movie, Charlie Brown, that morning. In an effort to teach the anticipation and waiting that comes with the advent season we had to wait until that evening at bedtime to watch it. We all enjoyed snuggling under the Christmas tree and watching as a family!
An extra fun craft we did this week was to make salt dough ornaments. This was my first attempt at them and while I still have a bit to learn Sophi had so much fun cutting them out and painting them after they were done. 

 Day 8: Christmas Craft - Make Snow Play dough
This was a quick easy craft that will last us through the season and beyond. We added glitter and peppermint extract to make it "Snow" dough!
I feel I must mention that my intent in sharing our Christmas Countdown is not to brag or gloat but instead to encourage you during this season of Advent. I am not creative of my own accord so I am always in search of great, creative ideas from other moms to help make this season more meaningful, fun and Christ centered for our family. I pray the things our family does will encourage you and yours to find Christ as well as the excitement and joy that comes with this special season!

"I bring wonderful, joyous news for all people. Your savior is born today in the city of David. He is Christ the Lord!

Luke 2:10-11


2 comments:

Leah said...

I love reading all your ideas. That's a really great idea to put away Baby Jesus and experience the "Great Anticipation!"

Ellen said...

That is hilarious that Sophi put Mary and Joseph next to baby Jesus!!! Love it! How did your salt dough ornaments turn out? I'm on round 3 with ours - they have cracked every time. I'm so glad you are posting your ideas, Lauren! Your heart for the Lord and for teaching Sophi and Maddie about Him is so evident. They are so blessed to have you as their Mama!!!