7/25/10

Sophi's boo boo

Several of you have asked about my reference to Sophi's boo boo in my previous post. Last Wednesday, while I was busy making cookies, Sophi decided to stick her hand in the space between the oven and the oven drawer. I did not realize this area of the oven got hot which is why I was letting her play near there. All of the sudden she got very upset as though her fingers were stuck, which at first is all I thought had happened. However, as the blisters started to appear I realized her fingers had been burned! So sad.
We made a trip to the doctor that afternoon and were told she had second degree burns on two of her fingers. We were shown how to take care of the burns by putting ointment on them, dressing them and sent home with instructions to change the dressing once a day for a week. Needless to say the first night we had to "dress" it ourselves I think all three of us were in tears and felt as though we might kill each other! We have gotten the hang of it since then and I am impressed we have kept it on this long.

I thought for sure that Sophi would hate it and try to do everything she could to get the bandage off but she has been such a trooper. She doesn't complain about it or mess with it and does everything (or at least tries to) as though her bandage wasn't there at all! It is amazing how resilient and adaptable kids are!


We now have a new rule in our house...no playing near the oven when hot!!

No comments: